There is a lot of talk at the moment about the Mac being dead. Nonsense. Apple cares about the Mac. At the moment Apple just doesn’t seem to be delivering much. Look at the major lines;
– iPhone: The case has not had any significant design changes. iOS 10 was not really a significant update.
– iPad: No new iPad Pros in a year. The 12 inch is now 12 months old. The new “iPad” is a spec bumped Air. The be honest, the hardware is great. It’s not the problem. The problem is the software! iPad has had no love since iOS9 when Apple introduced some half baked but much needed multitasking features. If Apple sees the iPad as a Mac killer, you’d think they’d be putting more effort into the Software.
– iPod: New colours. Maybe?
– Apple Watch: This seems to be progressing well and gets much fashion love in terms of new bands.
– The Mac: New models of laptops appear regularly and there is some innovation there, even if the specs are not what Pros really want. Ok, it’s not great on the desktop. The Pro has seen no updates since Dodo’s roamed the Earth. macOS gets regular love love with Apple sticking to its yearly updates.
Apple has not delivered much over the last year or so. Where there attention is at the moment is anyones guess. Perhaps great things are in the pipe. Perhaps they’re having manufacturing issues. Perhaps they’re experiencing some organisational issues.
The Mac is not neglected. Apple just isn’t delivering at the moment.